Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Favorite Book Covers: B -- Covers for Steampunk Novels -- which one floats your [steam] boat?


As authors, we spend a lot of time pondering book covers. Admiring other authors' covers, dreaming about our own covers, designing our own covers ... So we thought it would be fun to spend the month of April and the A to Z Blogging Challenge looking at book covers and choosing our favorites.


I decided to find covers for Steampunk novels. 
Each of them have a different style that I admire.

I





I've seen a few covers in different genres that remind me of this one--"Divergent" is an example. There are no people, just an image or symbol on the front cover. In this cover, I like rustic feel. The clockwork gear on the bottom brings in the steampunk theme.












I'm a fan of the full body figure next to a scene that brings in the feel of the book. And who would not be fascinated with the heroine's dress and the old fashioned black-and-white umbrella. However, I'm not really a fan of the font used for the title.





I like this cover because it is simple but still has a rustic theme with the wallpaper background. The colors also caught my eye.















This cover is the reason that I chose to do the letter, "B." Whenever I google steampunk, this cover comes up and it isn't too hard to imagine why. The girl, the color, and the layout is striking. If I were to vote, I'd vote for this one. However, I'm curious. I tend to buy books with covers that show a full head, but I've heard complaints from other readers that they don't like to see the face of the character because they like to imagine what they look like instead. What are your thoughts on this?












DISCLAIMER: I haven't read any of these books, I've picked these out by covers alone, but I DID notice that these covers do seem to bring in pretty good sales.

by Stephanie Fowers



Which is your favorite book cover and why?

- - - - - - - - -

If you want to keep up with all the Dauntless Authors' news, subscribe to our email newsletter!
You can also chat with us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

5 comments:

Rachel Tolman Terry said...

I definitely like the last cover (Boneshaker) the best. The close-up of the face and the color contrast with the lenses are very striking. The font is perfect, too. It just wouldn't be the same with some lower-case Arial-type font.

The Wicked Writer said...

funnily enough the last one (boneshaker) is my favourite cover as well

D Biswas said...

I like the one for Blood and Betrayal!

Please consider putting up the Challenge badge on your sidebar so it is easier to identify your participation.

Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014

Twitter: @damyantig
#atozchallenge

Stephanie Faris said...

Ooooh, I love Boneshaker. I keep forgetting what a "steampunk" novel is, but the cover of that one definitely would prompt me to pick it up.

stephanie said...

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I like all the covers for different reasons, but I can't help think that Boneshaker has the advantage because it looks like a work of art. If it doesn't inspire me to pick up the book and read it, it definitely inspires me to try writing some steampunk!

Newest Releases