Thursday, November 21, 2013

How readers can show their gratitude to authors & things authors are grateful for.



When deciding a topic for this post I asked for ideas. Two fellow Dauntless authors suggested Gratitude topics with Thanksgiving just a week away! And I thought they were fantastic ideas. But how to choose . . . that was the question. Then I realized I really don't have to. 

 How readers can show their gratitude to authors & things authors are grateful for:

Reviews - You read a book that you absolutely love and you want to show the author how much you enjoyed their book? A review is the way to go! Authors will be forever grateful! Read a book that you don't love? Guess what! We're grateful for those reviews too! Be kind, be courteous, be constructive, and your review will be more helpful than you know! 

Tweet it - So you read the book, loved the book, and posted a review on Amazon, Goodreads, and B&N! Now what? Share your review! Post a link to the book and tell people how much you love it! I promise you nothing sells a book better than having readers tell all their friends and family about the book! 

Follow - Follow the author - Like their Facebook and Amazon pages, follow their blogs and  twitter accounts. If you loved one book by an author, surely you will like more of their work. By following an author on all their social sites it: gives exposure to the author and their books, makes it so you get all their updates including when a giveaway is going on, and I'm not gonna lie, it's a confidence booster (at least for me)!  

PLUS - Many authors also have Pinterest pages. This is a great way to get sneak peaks into the worlds they create! 

Share - Gift an e-copy, loan out your hard-copy, go to your local library and see if they have the book. If they don't, request that they get a copy. As an author, I can't tell you how excited I am when I find out that my book was requested at a library or loaned to a friend! It isn't about the money, it's about sharing the stories we write. 

Get it signed -  Favorite author coming to a city near you? Go to a signing, purchase a hard-copy of the book you love! Can't get the hard-copy? No worries! Go, talk to the author, interact, get a signed bookmark! When I had my first signing (it was at a multi-author event) I didn't sell a single copy of my book. And you know what? I was okay with that! I signed things all day long and had a blast doing it. Not to mention I made some awesome friends! 

PLUS - If you want a signed book and the author isn't on tour/doesn't travel/isn't coming to a city near you, in many cases authors will directly sell you a copy of the book so it comes signed! This is another great reason to follow author's blogs and Facebook pages.

Buy it - This may seem like an obvious one but it needs to be pointed out. Don't download a stolen copy of the book. Authors pour their hearts and souls into their work. By illegally downloading a copy you are A: Breaking the law. B: Breaking the hearts of authors all around. C: Taking away the few dollars you would have paid just so you can have a free book. 

A lot of e-books range from .99cents to $4.99! Some are more, some are free. Either way it isn't fair to anyone if you steal the book. Not to mention, if you can't afford the book, in a lot of cases you can get a free copy from the author directly in trade for an honest review. 


Newest Releases