Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pinterest Fun for Writers

by Wendy Knight

Pinterest is one of my favorite things in the world, and one of my husband’s greatest fears—because I find all sorts of uber-fun projects for him to do. And when most people think of Pinterest, that’s what they think-projects, clothes, crafts…but for writers, it’s like the best visual resource EVER.

I create a board for every new story. Sometimes I create a story just so I can create a new board (did I mention I might have a Pinterest addiction? It’s possible).  On this new board, I add my characters, scenes, locations, inspiration…anything that I feel will help me write my story.

Then later, when I’m writing or if I’ve had to take a break for a while and my memory is foggy, I go to Pinterest, try really hard not to get distracted by all the pretty pins, and I open that board. Then, I have everything right in front of me: my character’s eye color or hair color (I always forget those, especially for minor characters), what the house looks like or my unicorn looks like…and being able to see these things helps me connect with my characters even more.


My Pinterest Book Boards. Aren't they pretty?

Plus, my readers have mentioned that it’s super fun for them to go to my boards and see the way I envision things as I’m writing. So it’s a win/win for everyone! Except maybe my husband…




2 comments:

jamieayres.com said...

Pinterest is a fun way to spend some time :-) Great for finding teaching ideas for my classroom too!

Cindy M Hogan said...

Love the ideas of having idea boards for new books.

Newest Releases