Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Books into Movies-The Great Disaster?


I get so excited every time I hear there is going to be a book I've read turned into a movie.

A ball of fire lights in my stomach and the flames seem to get bigger and bigger the closer I get to the release date. I buy up tickets the second they go on sale and if there is a big party-shoot, I'm there. Ok, I draw the line at dressing up-but still. (Hey, I dress up for Halloween-my favorite holiday)

There’s just something magical I hope and expect to happen as the book comes to life on the big screen.

Maybe I set myself up for the fall...Maybe I simply expect too much out of the movie industry.

Am I asking too much for them to film it like it is in the book?

You'd think they'd somehow understand that the closer to the real story they get, the more we'll love it.

I'd say 90 percent of the time, I'm disappointed. That's such a huge percentage, I know.


I should give up, but then something like The Help comes to the big screen or Harry Potter(sure, there were some things they changed, but boy were they close) Or look at The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Some books sit in the middle- Hunger Games, for one. I'll go see the next one. It got pretty close.






I just saw City of Bones and it differed from the book more than it stuck to the book.(It wasn't so bad because I didn't adore the book, however) 


Percy Jackson-same thing. Do they do it better in the 2nd one?







And man, did I love The Host-as a book- it stunk in the theater


Why, oh why do they feel they have to change something we all love so much? Some say it's all about the money-well, if that's true, they need to make the movies as close to the real thing as possible.

I'm afraid to go see Divergent-ah...I love that book so much-maybe too much to get excited for the movie. I don't want my heart to break.

You know, the idea for my first series came from a dream that I thought should be turned into a movie-it became a book-actually, three. Would I dare allow the movie industry to make it a movie? Would you let your book be turned into a movie knowing what you know?

What books to movies have you loved?
What ones turned out to be stinkers in your eyes?
What books would you like to see turned into movies?



8 comments:

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I've always believed the books are better than the movies.

Love the new site. I'm the second follower. I think that's cool!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

They do mess it up more often then they get it right. I haven't seen City of Bones but like you I found the book only okay so the movie can't disappoint me. LoTR did a pretty good job. When they tried to make a TV show of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series it was a disaster in my opinion.
Have to admit I would take a movie deal in a minute.

Cindy M Hogan said...

I'm so glad you love the site. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Cindy M Hogan said...

It's tempting, isn't it? I don't think I'd refuse. Maybe we'd just have to "wash our hands of it"
thanks for the comment

Donna Hosie said...

I will not be seeing DIVERGENT, although I can't wait for THE HOBBIT and CATCHING FIRE.

Elle Strauss said...

It does seem like a crap shoot. Sometimes they get it right - The Help, and sometime they get it really wrong - The Host. I think books to TV shows seem to fair better.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I recognize that the movie is a separate creative work. You can't do with film what you can with a book. In fact, some of the biggest complaints about the first two Harry Potter films was that they were TOO much like the books, that there were no surprises. But that can be a difficult balance to find. The Bourne series is one where they totally went off mark (seriously, they killed Marie off??) but the movies were so good and different in their own right that I forgave them. I've also found that I'm more likely to like the movie is there's been a lot of time between having read the book and seeing the film.

There are a handful of movies where I liked the film better than the book. Jaws is an example. The author there had Hooper cheating with Brody's wife and the Mafia involved. I like the more straightforward man against beast of the movie.

Jolene Perry said...

The Princess Bride and The City of Ember are two books that I thought were BETTER in the movie version. Mostly, I just know that movies are DIFFERENT, so I make myself have different expectations and know I'll get to see my characters in a similarish version of the story where I fell in love with them ;-)

Newest Releases